'The time to read is any time...

by tosca on Monday, May 10, 2010

...no apparatus, no appointment of time and place, is necessary. It is the only art which can be practised at any hour of the day or night, whenever the time and inclination comes, that is your time for reading; in joy or sorrow, health or illness.
~ Holbrook Jackson, 1874-1948, British journalist, publisher and writer

It's Monday so this is my 'On the shelf - what I'm reading' post. I've chosen a book out of our branch's 'smutty books bin.' This is my affectionate term for the racier books we have to put aside, i.e. out of reach of a particular customer (that we haven't yet been able to track) who likes to rip out the rudey parts. What possible joy they could get out of that I do not know - but it better be goddamned good, is all I can say. It better be life-threatening or life-healing to warrant such blatant destruction of a frickin' book. Yes, even the sexy ones!

So...here's just 1 title of the 20 or so that are currently taking up space on my desk/floor/table/counter/house/life/universe.



Title: Zack: armed and dangerous
Author: Cheyenne McCray
Published: St. Martin's Griffin, 2008
Synopsis: "Ever since bad boy Zack Hunter left her ten years ago, breaking her heart, Sky MacKenna hasn't been able to find a man who sets her on fire the way he did. Then he comes striding back into her life - bigger, badder, and sexier than before.... Zack Hunter never thought his job as an Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent would lead him back to his small hometown, and he never thought he'd set eyes on Sky again. Leaving her behind had been the stupidest thing he had ever done, but this time he isn't going to let her go. And as soon as Zack lays eyes on Sky, he makes it clear that he intends to make her his all over again. When Sky becomes entangled in the case he's investigating, Zack can't help but take the threat personally. As the danger mounts, their passion burns even hotter" -- Backcover.

Why am I reading this? For one reason only: to answer a burning question. That burning being? Do the characters practise the '
new oral', better known as buttsecks? Yes. I'm bringing that up. A few months back I read the second book in this series, Luke: Armed and Dangerous, where the hero/heroine got down to chaps and a cowboy hat pretty gosh darn quickly and, with barely a 'how do you do?' were trying out the new oral. Was an eye opener, to say the least. Which made me wonder when did that particular sexual act hit mainstream romance novels and when did I miss it (although an act like that really can't be missed)? Haven't seen it since (not in mainstream, anyway) and then, wandering the shelves, found the first book so thought I'd try it out (in the book, that is). Although, being a fan of male/male romance novels I'm more inclined to agree with Candy Tan from Smart Bitches Trashy Books that guy on guy seems more interesting, although she does reckons that, as with anything, it's the skill of the writer that makes or breaks the new oral scene. So to speak. And that's what I'm reading atm. Which will be of no interest to anybody except me :)

3 comments

Have kept picking this up over the last few days and getting no father than about a third of the way through. I also keep falling asleep through the sex scenes. No reflection on the writer. Perhaps indicates my mood more than anything else. I think I'm going to have to put this back and try something (anything) else until the mood strikes me to try this again.

by tosca on May 10, 2010 at 10:43 PM. #

the "new oral" is absolutely going to be my new inappropriate phrase to drop into conversation.

and to think i've been using "[i guess he/she/they] brushed [his/her/their] teeth with a bottle of jack this morning" for a whole week already.

by icanhasblogburger on May 11, 2010 at 12:58 AM. #

Oh noes LOL Are you going to use it with staff, customers, friends, family? I'm trying to imagine how that could fit into a conversation. Esp a polite one LOL

by tosca on May 11, 2010 at 6:22 PM. #

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.