The Smart Bitches asked 'Is anal the new oral?' and I want to know - is it...?

by tosca on Monday, January 25, 2010

Maybe my definition of romance is in serious need of an upgrade :) What I really want to know is - to borrow a question from the Smart Bitches book 'Beyond heaving bosoms: the Smart Bitches' guide to romance novels' - is anal the new oral? You may snicker and wince (lord knows I did reading it) but I'm finding this is popping up in a lot of male/female books I'm reading. And I ain't choosing these books on purpose, not with that little gem in mind. I make the distinction male/female because I also read a large number of male/male romance novels. In that genre I'd expect to find the 'new oral,' so to speak. I'm not a prude so I was surprised to find that a few of my library books I picked up last week (about 4 or 5 in total), all male/female novels, also contained the new oral in practise.

I read Cheyenne McCray's 'Luke: armed and dangerous' over the weekend because I'm a sucker for a cowboy story (go on, tell me those chaps don't make you happy!). Wowsers - plenty sexual tension, plenty of sex play and it was all maybe a little bit too much for my tiny mind. The hero/heroine decide to get it on in the office in the stables (I know - horses, hormones - I don't get it myself) and he leaves his stetson on (ok, that part I get) and his chaps (yeah, I get that part, too) and, after the obligatory round of missionary position (sheesh I hope my mum doesn't read this) they decide to try the 'new oral'. With barely a how-do-you-do. At that point my eyebrows reached my hairline and my eyes slid sideways and I thought to myself, 'Is this the new romance novel now? And when did I miss that happening?' 'Cause it's not something you'd miss, huh. I mean, it's not like a 'Whoops!' moment, is it? And, while I'm on the subject, is it something we can expect to find in a Mills & Boon? Hell, is it there already and I missed that, too? Seriously, is it or isn't and if you know can you leave a comment!

So, thanks Ms. McCray for blowing my tiny mind - and for making me realise how easily shockable I am LOL I didn't think that was possible. I think I really am going to have to pay more attention when I read. Maybe I'll get to the point where I won't think it's unusual enough to comment on. Is that a good thing? I'm still not sure. Until then, I'm gonna be asking, is anal the new oral in male/female romance novels? Is this like a bra burning moment and did I miss it that, too? Hmm...

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.