Twittering your Facebook - or is that Facebooking your Twitter...?

by tosca on Thursday, January 21, 2010

I already knew that I could set my twitter status to update my Facebook status at the same time - only sometimes I get comments from friends/family who say, 'Wtf? Eh?' Especially when I'm having an ongoing conversation with other tweeters. It can get confusing. Found out today that I can be selective (ooh err I know - me, being selective, go figure) about which tweets I send to FB.


@andyy has this handy little Facebook app called Selective Tweets. It's easy to set up and start using. If you already have the FB Twitter app remove or disable it first, and then use this one. For each tweet you want to send to update your Facebook status simply add a hashtag and fb at the end, like this: I can update Facebook via Twitter #fb

You can also tweet within Facebook using the Twitter app - although I don't think you can have both the Twitter app and the Selective Tweets app - or at least, not that I could see. It's not that attractive - really, it's not, and if you don't judge books by their covers like me then you won't give a damn - to look at but it does do the job. Sometimes quick and dirty does it as easily as flashy (or so I've been told). It's in beta stage at the moment so clicking 'Update' once doesn't necessarily work. You may end up clicking it about 4 or 5 times like me :)

It's also possible to publish your Facebook page updates (not status updates) to Twitter, too. I wouldn't 'cause hello I don't have a 'page'. I only have a 'profile' - basically, profiles - individual users like me - have friends, and pages have fans. Thanks Susan Gunelius from About.com for explaining the difference :) I found this handy dandy YouTube clip by Howard Yermish who shows you how to accomplish pushing page updates to Twitter via Facebook. Do I know who he is? Nope, and it doesn't matter, all I care about is that his video made sense, was easy to follow and was available when I needed it. YAY Howard.

And that's what I learnt today. Tomorrow I'll probably learn nothing and pretend otherwise OR because I learnt so much today, spread it across tomorrow's feel good buzz, too!

2 comments

Thanks so much for highlighting my video in your post. I'm glad that you liked the video and I appreciate the compliment.

by Howard Yermish on January 22, 2010 at 8:47 AM. #

No way! Thank you! The clip was clear, concise and made it a simple task. Flicked the link on to a colleague who is now set to go. Thanks :)

by tosca on January 22, 2010 at 12:54 PM. #

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.