'Reading is a discount ticket...

by tosca on Monday, May 17, 2010

...to everywhere.'
~ Mary Schmich, 1953, columnist for the Chicago Tribune


If that's the case then, this week alone I have supped with werewolves, survived the walking dead, been a voyeur to all kinds of gay male romance goings on, travelled to alternate worlds on a spaceship, had high tea in Victorian England and celebrated a vampire mating. All of that in the last 7 days. As social calendars go...that isn't too shabby.



It's Monday, which means this is my 'On the shelf - what I'm reading' post. Thought I'd list a few books I'm currently reading or have just finished. There's an odd assortment here and I have tried to put them into some sort of order (after a fashion). They are:


General fiction - links to our library catalogue
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho - for book club (you know, the first rule of book club is...). This is a re-read for me

Paranormal - links to our library catalogue
Wolfsbane and Mistletoe anthology by Charlaine Harris, Patricia Briggs, Keri Arthur, Carrie Vaughn and others

The New Dead : A Zombie Anthology edited by Christopher Golden - scared myself stupid with this one and slept with the light on afterwards

Romance - gay male - not held in our libraries, links to GoodReads
Duty & Devotion by Tere Michaels - the first book in this series was a tearjerker and I remember crying my eyes out. This one didn't quite yank at the heart strings but was just as good
I'll Be Your Drill, Soldier by Crystal Rose - well, wall to wall sex, really (which has its place, come on, admit it)
Love & Loyalty by Tere Michaels - a hot cop who doesn't use his handcuffs after work (shame, really)
More by Sloan Parker - 3 guys (no girl, no pizza in sight and will set your eyebrows on fire - needless to say, not held by our libraries LOL)

Romance - erotica (involves 2 guys and a girl - still no pizza) - links to GoodReads
Victorious Star by Morgan Hawke
Fortune's Star by Morgan Hawke (from the Hard Candy anthology - haven't read other stories yet, raced to Hawke's one first)

Romance - paranormal - links to library catalogue
Lover Mine by J. R. Ward (book cover belongs to 'team chest' category)

Romance - steampunk - links to library catalogue
Changeless (book 2 in the Parasol Protectorate series) by Gail Carriger - It has a cliffhanger of an ending. I know this because I shamelessly raced ahead and read that bit first. I am wholly unapologetic about that. Dirty pool, Ms. Carriger! It's months till the next one heh

Nonfiction - links to library catalogue
Outside of a Dog: A Bibliomemoir by Rick Gekoski - just started

Quick book cover giggles
Well, I never! Seriously, I never seen anything like this on a cover before. Found this while playing online. Couple of things come to mind right off the bat:
Where is her hand? I mean, is it really where I think it is? *sanity check*
Why does he look totally unmoved by her action?
How come she looks more coolly curious than anything else?
How did this one slip past staff?
Accidental or on purpose?

Funny in that laugh-out-loud-while-groaning kinda way ;)

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.