'She had an unequalled gift...

by tosca on Thursday, April 29, 2010

...of squeezing big mistakes into small opportunities.'
~ from 'The Real Thing: and Other Tales' (1893) by Henry James, 1843-1916

Well shoot, here's a lesson our staff can learn from - and I have no objection to 1) copping to it and 2) letting them view it. It also teaches them 2 things: 1) what the downside is of too much availability/web 2.0 mixed with a healthy dose of dumbness and 2) how pervy I truly, truly am, geez :)




Was in the middle of checking NextReads newsletters (due to go out tonight) one last time. As ever I keep tweetdeck running in the background so I can see tweets and send my own (this is how I know when our staff tweet @Manukau_Libs and can respond asap). A knock on the door saw me popping out to answer it. Turned out to be a very good looking constable (I don't usually like police but he was extremely easy on the eyes). Answered his questions and had a bit of a chat with him and then he left. I, on the other hand, went back to my workstation and immediately tweeted: 'my excitement for tonight: hot cop (with cuffs) knocked on door and left his card. fact he left card for all houses is immaterial #fb'

Upside of this tweet - I am funny and irreverent and incredibly human. YAY!
Downside of this tweet - it was sent from our work tweetstream so I am a dirty old woman (who will be a 'cougar' in less than a month). BOO! HISS!

Realising immediately what I had done, I pulled up a browser, logged in as @Manukau_Libs and quickly deleted it.

Upside of twitter: immediacy of information made available. YAY!
Downside of twitter: immediacy of information made available. BOO! HISS!

Hoping I'd employed damage control before anyone could really see it...no such luck. @natz2d2 - or Natalie from Digital Services as we all know her - saw it and immediately sent back: 'um ... was that supposed to be tweeted on the Manukau Libraries account?' Oh. Good point. 'Cause I'm sure our customers/staff/following organisations and authors want to know that I am very pervy in my offtime. NOT. Gack. Have since disabled our work tweetstream in my tweetdeck.

Upside: for the first time ever I actually saw an 'LMAO' come out of Natalie heh.
Downside: MORTIFICATION. Priceless *rolls eyes*

My lesson? 3 things: 1) Don't work from home. 2) Don't work-tweet from home. 3) Check, double-check and oh for goshness sake triple-check, before you hit send.

Mad props: image taken from Marketing Implementer.

6 comments

Okay, word on number one. Word.

by Natz2-D2 on April 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM. #

Word? Hey, sisters 'dropped round' suddenly while I was chatting with the McHot Cop. Thought they were coming to visit me. Nope. They wanted to perv. He couldve been talking Gibberish and they wouldve been happy *snorts*

by tosca on April 29, 2010 at 9:57 PM. #

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=word

^ Word.

I'm picturing him being invited to have dinner with you and your sisters, and it would end up like that scene where Fraser has dinner with Ray's family.

by Natz2-D2 on April 29, 2010 at 10:07 PM. #

Was there bloodshed and/or much humiliation? Because that's how it would be >.<

by tosca on April 29, 2010 at 10:10 PM. #

HA. This reminds me of something I did a little while ago...accidentally sent an funny insulting txt about someone to uh...the person I was insulting. Oops.

That said, I wouldn't have minded that tweet on the manukau_lib twitter...adds a little pervy flavour to us, right?

by icanhasblogburger on April 30, 2010 at 6:01 PM. #

LOL somehow I'm not so sure Council would agree that pervy flavour is a good thing. Esp this year of all years (even though I am almost falling off my chair laughing just thinking about it).

by tosca on April 30, 2010 at 6:39 PM. #

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.