Books books books books books - everywhere we look...

by tosca on Thursday, January 15, 2009

ARGH! Found the Olathe Public Library (Kansas) website by accident (prefer to think it was fate). Came across their Subject Guide listing. From there I found my way to their Readers Advisory page recommending sites with book reviews, suggestions etc. and uhh I am skipping my lunch break to go through them ;-) I know, what a dork heh. So ok, here are the ones I really liked or found quirky, in no particular order:

* Book Club Girl who is dedicated to sharing great books, news and tips with book club girls everywhere - In the first 5 mins alone I have found 9 books to request *gulps* where the hell will I find the time ack

* Amazon Top 100 - updated hourly (psst I want that job - ok no I don't but it might be nice)

* Harper Library - makes a good readers' advisory tool, too. I saw a book cover on Book Club Girl (The Birth House by Ami McKay) which, when I clicked on it, led me to Harper Library with 2 or 3 suggestions below that were similar to that one. I see that they also have a 'Download a free e-book' link. The words 'free' and 'e-book' are guaranteed to lure me in. They also have their own Top 10 Lists to peruse.

* Mathematical Fiction - was never my forte in high school (hello, I took 3 languages, science and music) so more out of curiosity I wanted to see if there were many...and yes there were!

* Online Book Clubs - hah I don't have to rearrange my oh-so-busy (not) schedule to attend a book club in person. I'm lazy and I can do it via email YAY ME. Signed up for a couple (curiosity really) to see what I shall see. Every Mon through Fri they send me 5 min selection from a chapter and by the end of the week I'll have read 2-3 chapters. New book every Monday. Hmm, my only concern is...what happens when I read those 2-3 teaser chapters and we don't have the book in our library system for me to finish??? That would suck. Majorly :-) Boohoo.

Umm don't really enjoy the sites where I have to enter what kind of plot I like before it suggests anything. I judge books by their covers and I refuse to apologise for it. So there! Egads - lunch break over - serious hat on. Bubbye =)

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.