A little post that isn't much of a post about anything in particular

by tosca on Thursday, March 15, 2012

I only ever wanted to be three things in life: a singer, a teacher and a librarian. That's it. I did sing for a few years and it was fun. And then I didn't sing anymore. When I left tertiary I took a job at a local primary school as a Maori teacher aide. Enjoyed it so much I became an LAT (where you have a limited authority to teach), briefly considered applying to the (then) Auckland College of Education and realised something quite crucial that held everything up: I didn't actually like children. Not enough to be amongst them all day, every day. Weirdly, instead of going to ACE to obtain a teaching degree, I ended up working there in the library instead at the same time as my BFF was there studying. Timing is everything.

People always ask me, "Why libraries?" and I tell them the truth (which always seems to disappoint them): "I'm in libraries for the books." I am, first and foremost (and forever) a reader who seems to have a knack for recommending books. I have worked in a school library, a tertiary library, and public libraries so I know that libraries offer more than books. They have homework centres, job clubs, book clubs, school holiday programmes, author talks, orientation sessions, database tutorials, study rooms, computers...they're busy, busy places. They are, after all, community spaces. These days more so than ever before, I think. And I love seeing that. But I never forget that I am always about the books - reading them, talking about them with others, promoting them, having quite firm opinions about book/reading related issues, and, although it sounds stupid, having what feels like an actual relationship with the book and its characters. I suspect that makes me strange. I suspect I don't care overly much about said strangeness. I also suspect I'll go on being about the book and nothing but the book for always.

3 comments

Love this. That's all.

by Claire G on March 15, 2012 at 8:04 AM. #

Love it.

by Robin on March 15, 2012 at 5:06 PM. #

Wow. Perfectly explained. Love it

by Beezil on March 16, 2012 at 11:14 AM. #

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.