'Life...

by tosca on Wednesday, July 6, 2011

...is a four letter word.'
~ Lenny Bruce


In which Tosca shares a book cover that made her forget what she was looking for in the first place, and a dvd title that will give her the swear-fest she wants to indulge in but won't, and do it in a classy way to boot (maybe)...because she can.



It's Wednesday and this is meant to be a 'What the...?!?' of funny, oddball, screwy book titles but, considering I've spent a good chunk of today crying at a funeral service, I'm opting for an unusual book cover and a dvd I chose because of the title in the hope that it'll provide a great way to unwind after this most odd week.

I spend lots of time in strange pockets of our catalogue looking for books for myself or for our enewsletters or even for our work blog so it's a half-half mix of my deliberately seeking weird stuff out and it kinda coming to me all on its lonesome. Like this one, for example. I can't even remember what I was initially searching for but this is what I ended up with and everything else, after that top image, just got forgotten. I'm still not sure I know what I was looking for.

Title: Breeding dogs : a practical guide by Patsy Hollings and Stephen Hollings
Year: 2011
Publisher: Crowood Press
Synopsis: Topics covered include: choosing your breed, basic genetics, family traits and hereditary problems ; the brood bitch-health and welfare; the stud dog, training and healthcare; rearing puppies-general husbandy, feeding and worming; finding homes for your puppies, what to look out for.

Figuring I might need to wind down this week with a serious swear-fest (in an intellectual/artistic way, of course, because I'm classy like that - well, no, I'm not, never have been and never will be), I requested the following dvd which I am expecting great things from:

Title: F*ck [DVD videorecording] a film by Steve Anderson
Rating: Restricted 18: Restricted to persons 18 years and over. Note: Offensive language, sexual material and other content may offend.
About: Including interviews with Pat Boone, Drew Carey, Billy Connolly, Bill Maher, Alanis Morissette, Kevin Smith, Hunter S. Thompson. This challenging and provocative documentary takes a look on all sides of the infamous F-word. Its taboo, obscene and controversial, yet somehow seems to permeate every single aspect of our culture - from Hollywood to the schoolyard to the Senate floor in Washington D.C. It's the word at the very center of the debate on Free Speech - and everyone seems to have an opinion. FUCK will exam how the word is impacting our world today thru interviews, film and television clips, music, and original animation by Oscar nominee Bill Plympton. Scholars and linguists will examine the long history of fuck. Comedians, actors, and writers who have charted and popularized the upward course of fuck will be heard from, often while defending the Constitutional Right of Free Speech, all the way to the Supreme Court. FUCK will visit with those who actually fuck for a living. We'll hear from advocates who oppose fuck and it's infringement into our everyday lives. We'll watch some of the most famous and infamous film and television clips that feature fuck, we'll hear some of the most famous fucks ever uttered and we'll feel the impact of fuck on our everyday lives.

One comment

*reserves*

Not the dog book.

by Anonymous on July 7, 2011 at 2:47 AM. #

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.