'Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his...

by tosca on Wednesday, July 13, 2011

...aren't very new after all.'
~ Abraham Lincoln


In which Tosca discovers that Steven Lowe and Alan McArthur have read her mind about some of the exasperating crap that makes up modern culture and have written another book about it. Yay. (And wishes she could say that she'd found it using some fantastic scientific method but admits to using a keyword search for, well, 'shit'). Or something like it. Did you really expect anything classy?



I'm not a doctor but I think I have strep throat. Either that or a really sore throat. Attended an author talk last night and came back feeling slightly off: cold, headache, sore throat, raging fever. Went to work anyway and spent the day mostly quiet (I bet my colleagues were glad for it), dehydrated and slightly worse for wear. Long day. To cheer myself up I came home and decided to look for books that match how I feel (like shit) and choose the most interesting to read. I chose this title for two reasons: it reminds me of something a friend used to say about how the smelly stuff would hit the whirly thing, and I'm familiar with the authors already as I've read Is it just me or is everything shit? : the encyclopedia of modern life and Is it just me or is everything shit? : the encyclopedia of modern life. Vol. 2. They're rude, on point, full of common sense and absolutely hilarious in their summation of the crap that makes up modern culture. I'm hoping this is more of the same.

Title: Is it just me or has the shit hit the fan?
Year: 2009
Publisher: Sphere
Synopsis: From Sarkozy to Obama, bank bailouts to enviro-copouts, people getting overly obsessed with The Wire to economists lining up to explain away their credulity; a rumination on the fact that Jordan is actually rich enough to buy General Motors following its share crash; plus a hard-hitting analysis of Bob the Builder, etc.

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.