'There are two reasons for reading a book...

by tosca on Tuesday, March 2, 2010

...one, that you enjoy it; the other, that you can boast about it.' So sayeth Bertrand Russell. Meh. I'm not sure if my book motives are less than pure with this post. Am I bragging? Am I sharing? Am I wasting my own time? Am I wasting yours? This post is my public to-be-read list for March 2010. In any one month I will read anywhere from 20-30 books. About a half are set as challenges for my GoodReads online book club, and the rest are ones that catch my interest/eye/fancy. I should probably point out that as I edit our library Romance newsletter these are mostly all romance titles. Some of them are silly, some of them are good, some of them are great - all of them are another way for me to turn on, tune in and drop out (adios, real world). In some ways, publishing my TBR list keeps me on track.

Monthly Challenge - 10 romance titles:
1. Book titles starts with M -
Miss Delacourt Speaks Her Mind by Heidi Ashworth
2. Birthday celebrant: Danielle from NZ -
The Arrival by Shaun Tan
3. Geography: France -
The Elegance of the Hedgehog by Muriel Barbery OR The Brooding Frenchman's Proposal by Rebecca Winters
4. St. Patrick's Day -
Bride Of The Emerald Isle by Trish Wylie OR Wedding at King's Convenience by Maureen Child
5. Military/war -
Dark Stranger by Susan Sizemore
6. International Women's Month -
Lessons From a Scarlet Lady by Emma Wildes
7. Romance genre: historical -
The Duke's Cinderella Bride by Carole Mortimer
8. Middle Name Pride Day - No Regrets by Shannon K. Butcher
9. Of shelves and lists:
Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie
10. Reader's choice - TBC

Read the Month of March:
M -
The Madness of Lord Ian MacKenzie by Jennifer Ashley
A -
Accidentally Demonic by Dakota Cassidy OR The Accidental Countess by Michelle Willingham
R -
Runaway Miss by Mary Nichols
C -
Captain Wentworth's Diary by Amanda Grange
H -
How Do I Love Thee; Stories to Stir the Heart edited by Valarie Parv

NZ challenge (personal challenge)
Children's junior fiction:
Snake and Lizard written by Joy Cowley & illustrated by Gavin Bishop

Boonie author (personal challenge)
An Italian Engagement by Catherine George. I read a title of hers a week or two ago and got lost in the plot and ended up more confused than happy at the happy-ever-after ending *frowns* I don't have hard and fast rules about books - I don't have hard and fast rules about anything much, so if I come across a book that I don't like, I don't automatically think everything else she/he writes is crap. I'll try to find one they've written that I do enjoy - no author can be total kaka, right? Right.

Happy to say that all of the books listed in my Feb list were finished by 9:35pm Sunday 28th February 2010. Who's the (wo)man?! My rational side has just pointed out that I also edit the Maori, Pasefika, Science & Nature newsletters also and none of the above titles match those subject areas. Piss off, rational side, I say :)

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.