"I try to leave out the parts...

by tosca on Wednesday, January 4, 2012

...that people skip."
~ Elmore Leonard


If you could choose ONE word to live by this year, what would it be?

I've been absent for ages because 1) I'm lazy and 2) I don't feel I have the same almost-anonymity I want/thought I had and so I can't just go BURBLEBURBLEBURBLE about stuff. So, no posts about work. Except general stuff. When I blog about work...work gets nervous :P Although you (the invisible YOU) all know that nobody reads my blog. It is one voice among so many and is really just a place for me to talk about, well, not very much. Interesting to me, and that's about it. People have more interesting things to do. Don't you people? Doesn't mean I won't blog about libraries ever again, though. Just not specifically about mine. Meh. Enough about that. Let's get on to my non-resolution for 2012: one word.



I don't do New Year resolutions. That way, of purposefully setting myself up to fail year after year, lies madness. Instead, I've decided that I'm going to choose one word to live by for this year, a concept that I came across at SheLovesMagazine.com.

So, one word for 2012. The idea for this came up in one of my RSS feeds in a post by Idelette McVicker, which is a part of the One Word 365 initiative. The idea is to choose one word that will underpin everything you are, everything you want to do, everything you want to be, everything you would like to achieve this year. Depending on how deeply I live it (and I'm not certain how well I can but I'm game to give it a go), I expect it'll also shape how I talk to people and how I respond to what I'm told. Oh. I envision fun times ahead *wry laugh* I'm scaring myself already. My word is OPEN, as in open mind, open heart, open hands, open eyes, open door. It means not automatically scoffing at everything I see and hear. It means not discounting people, ideas, thoughts out of hand. It means sometimes going by faith a little more than usual. It means trusting others. It means I'm going to have to talk a little less, and listen a whole heap more. Here's to being open!

If you could choose ONE word to live by this year, what would it be?

6 comments

Having read the oneword365 site and had my inner self think YES! I've been sitting here staring at the screen waiting for my one word to pop into my tiny little head. And it just won't come.

I've even made plans to make my word - when it comes - my screen saver and my desktop background at both home and work. But nada.

Worst of all, you really can't ask anyone else because as the website says, "it needs to resonate with your heart, no one else's."

And still a (not so) little girl waits...

by wellreadkitty on January 5, 2012 at 12:25 AM. #

Oh where are my manners! Thank you for introducing this concept to me - so much better than resolutions that get made and broken in almost the same breath (for me anyway).

by wellreadkitty on January 5, 2012 at 12:26 AM. #

My one word took the whole day *lesigh* I tried a few and kept saying/thinking them over and over. You know that thing we sometimes do, where we say a word so often it becomes an oddity? Strange and foreign and without meaning? I did that, and so ended up discarding: Question, Test (as in boundaries, time, patience, limits), Support, Change (as in encourage it, be it, know when to, know when not to). Finally, I came up with Open. And scared myself LOL It's weird. It's already making me more reflective and thoughtful. Perish the thought LOL

Good luck with your word!

by tosca on January 5, 2012 at 7:38 AM. #

i honestly feel that work have no right to even speak to you about what you write about on the internet. i understood their nervousness when they refused to let us start a blog at my workplace, but if they wanted good e-press that's what we would have given them.

they've thrown that chance away and tbh if it ever comes up on my site i am willing to expose ALL the awful experiences i have had whilst working where i was working.

by Mina on January 5, 2012 at 2:48 PM. #

wow also i want to apologize for every comment i ever leave you being so intense....

by Mina on January 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM. #

Mina! Howdy :P The decision to not blog about work is totally, totally mine. It's always felt a bit weird. It's better that way. Truth be told, I'm ok with it because I know that there are a lot of other libraries, national and international, doing such great initiatives as well that I can jump up and down and squee and be enthusiastic about. Like, for example, Australia's National Year of reading. What a great way to celebrate, and such a great range of events and activities taking place across the country. I'm so envious!

I'm so bummed you felt that way :( You still work part-time, yeah? Was going to say, if you ever felt like rousing the MY troops to start a blog, COME SEE ME! I'd be in to see that happen!

Intense is the new black. Or something :P

by tosca on January 5, 2012 at 9:17 PM. #

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.