'I don't have to look up my family tree...

by tosca on Tuesday, October 5, 2010

...because I know that I'm the sap.'
~ Fred Allen


Kalani in his Tigger dressing gown and yes, he dresses himself like that o_O Seriously, I am a total crybaby. I cry over sad movies, heartbreaking books, cute fluffy animals, etc. When I was on holiday in New Orleans last year I discovered the Hallmark Channel and thought I'd died and gone to heaven. All of those tearjerkers available for viewing. One after another after another. I would wander the French Quarter and take in the sights/sounds and head back to the B&B at some ungodly hour of the morning and lie awake for hours watching sad movies. BLISS. Believe it or not, my ability to cry at the sappiest of things was, recently, quite a funny weird/funny haha moment thanks to one of my nephews. It's Tuesday and this is a 'my family & other animals' post..



Kalani - my 6 year old nephew - is full of the craziest, funny little things. Nine times out of ten we actually get on really well. I live for those times LOL Then are the times when we want to do little more than wipe each other off the face of the earth *raises a brow* Those moments don't happen often but when they do look out! The following conversation is one we had over the weekend during my Supernatural (I heart Dean) marathon (if you haven't yet seen Supernatural then, really, what the hell are you doing with your life?).

Supernatural, image courtesy of End of Show Scene: Tosca, a picnic bar, a bottle of coke, and Supernatural season 2 playing on the dvd player. I can't state what happens in the episode because I know Kelly is going to start watching the series soon and I don't want to spoil it. For those of you who do know the Winchesters, it's the last 2 episodes 'All hell breaks loose' parts 1 and 2 where something happens to someone. So, this something happens to my least favourite someone and my lower lip drops, my eyes start watering, my nose starts running and, before I know it, I'm full on sniffling. Although not quite sobbing, I quickly want to point out. 'Carry on wayward son' by Kansas is playing loudly (one of my favouritest rock tracks ever) which just serves to make me sniffle louder...and in walks Mr. 6.

Kalani: Are you crying again?
Me: YES. It's a sad moment. You're MEANT to cry... *mutters to self* Why am I defending myself to a 6 year old?
Kalani: *scornfully* You ALWAYS cry in these. Why do you watch them then?
Me: GRR.
Kalani: It's because of your oboes.
Me: *blinks* My oboes?
Kalani: Yeah. It's your oboes *nods wisely*
Me: What...what do you mean it's my oboes?
Kalani: You got tubes *makes pinching motions with his fingers* and they got oboes in 'em. That's why you cry.
Me: I have oboes in my tubes? *suddenly realises what he means* Ovaries? I have ovaries in my...tubes...and that's why I cry? *having visions of men with great big oboes marching around in my fallopian tubes happily tooting away*
Kalani: That's what I said!

More questioning gives me the answer that I want: Mr. 13 is inadvertently responsible for this weird mash-up puberty talk. Awesome. NOT. I'd hate to think what misinformation is floating around in either of their heads...which is why I totally chickened out and made a mental note to tell my siblings about the chat so they can follow it up and hand out the right info. I'm just the aunt - that's not MY job. Eek.

A colleague asked me recently if my family minded that they appear here looking foolish and my response to that was, 'Oh no. They know that anything dumb they do is totally public domain.' Amen.

2 comments

awww, thankies for not posting any supernatural spoilers, what a star you are :)I went and got glee to add to my pile too.....ah, so much teebee goodness to catch up on :)

by Kelly on October 6, 2010 at 9:48 AM. #

My oldest nephew - around 6 - asked his grandmother why she still had boobs, because she didn't have babies to feed any more.
Makes sense, I spose.
One of my sister's was asked by her 4-year-old which boob had milk, and which one had orange juice.
Ah, joy.
Yep, this auntie backed out (giggling) at these ones.

by Madhamster on October 7, 2010 at 11:06 AM. #

Leave your comment

Kia ora! Have a comment or suggestion to make? Then speak now or forever hold your peace.